Bruce D. Thomas Begins Term as 2008 - 2009 NAMIC Chairman
PHILADELPHIA (Oct. 1, 2008) – Bruce D. Thomas was elected 2008-2009 chairman of the board of the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC) here today, during NAMIC’s Annual Convention. Thomas is the president/CEO of Heartland Mutual Insurance Company in Algona, Iowa, where he began working as a claims adjuster in 1980.
Thomas is the past president of Northwest Iowa Mutual Managers Association and a former member of the Mutual Insurance Association of Iowa board of directors. He also has a Professional Farm Mutual Manager certification. Thomas' involvement in NAMIC includes former chairman of the Merit Society, Farm Conference Committee board member, and recipient of the Merit Society Award.
Thomas has an MBA from Southwest Minnesota State University and holds bachelor's degrees in business from Monmouth College and economics and education from the University of Iowa.
Married for 32 years, he and his wife have one son.
Thomas is followed on the NAMIC Board by:
- Chairman-elect John T. Hill, II, CPA, president/COO, Magna Carta Cos.; New York, N.Y.
- Vice Chairman Sandra G. Parrillo, CPCU, president/CEO, Providence Mutual Fire Insurance Company; Providence, R.I.
- Secretary/Treasurer Wayne F. White, CPA, PFMM, executive vice president, Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Company; Bryant, Ark.
Six new directors were named:
- Patrick Faga, PFMM, president/CEO, Central Iowa Mutual Insurance Association; Story City, Iowa
- Thomas Dials, CPCU, president, Armed Forces Insurance Exchange; Leavenworth, Kan.
- Greg Ellingson, PFMM, general manager, Flathead Farm Mutual Insurance Company; Kalispell, Mont.
- John E. Trott Jr., president, Hochheim Prairie Insurance Company; Yoakum, Texas
- John J. Bishop, CPCU, CLU, chairman/president/CEO, Motorists Mutual Insurance Company; Columbus, Ohio
- W. Kim Austen, CPCU, president, Allied Insurance Company, Des Moines, Iowa
Outgoing officers were also recognized:
- Judy S. Jackson, president/CEO, LNC Insurance Companies; Norwich, Conn.
- Glenn A. Lambert, PFMM, general manager, Cascade Farmers Mutual Insurance Company; Great Falls, Mont.
- Duane D. Smith, PFMM, secretary/manager, Farmers Mutual Insurance Company of Johnson & Shelby Counties; Franklin, Ind.
- Robert A. Wadsworth, CPCU, CIC, chairman/CEO, Preferred Mutual Insurance Company; New Berlin, NY.
For further information, contact
Director - Media Relations
(202) 628-1558 Tel
(202) 628-1601 Fax